Benefits of teaching in small classes Learning in small-group contexts enhances students' overall learning experiences in several ways. For example, it can; help students develop a sense of academic rigour and a willingness to share ideas. provide opportunities for students to receive feedback on their learning.
If we can remember why we teach in small groups, it’s easier to carve out time for this important part of the day.
Teachers in 4th-6th grade brainstormed these as their top reasons for using small groups:
- Increases comfort level for students
- Immediate feedback can be provided to students
- Students can’t hide
- Allows the needs of groups of students to be targeted
- Helps teachers observe student learning more carefully
- Provides opportunity to individualize instruction
- Instruction can be more easily differentiated
- Allows teachers to match reading levels and interest levels to students